The Royal Oak Public House is an mid-nineteenth century Grade II listed building on the edge of the village of Newingreen. Attached to the public house was a motel dormitory block built in 1953. The motel block had been vacant for many years and the entire site had planning consent for redevelopment which included the demolition of the motel block and the restoration of the listed building. Before the demolition had started the motel block was spot listed on the grounds that it was one of the earliest surviving motels in the country.

It was apparent that the building could not be preserved as it had been designed as a short-life building constructed of non-durable materials. Woodhall co-ordinated the case for demolition. This involved a comparative historical appraisal, advice from building surveyors, quantity surveyors, valuers, and negotiations with English Heritage. Listed building consent for the demolition of the motel was granted.

Royal Oak Motel Title
Royal Oak Motel


© 2011 Woodhall Planning and Conservation Ltd. All rights reserved.
Woodhall Logo
Architects and Planners