HomeServicesTeamClientProjectsNewsContact
back

The racecourse enclosure and the former Terry’s Factory are two very different groups of buildings on the open space of the Knavesmire to the south of York city centre.  Both groups represent important aspects of the City’s history.  Annual race meetings began on the Knavesmire in 1731 and chocolate making in York dates from 1767, although the impressive listed buildings on Bishopthorpe Road were not erected until the 1920s.

The Terry’s Factory closed in 2005 and the site was proposed for a large mixed use scheme.  York City Council requested the preparation of an appraisal of the entire Conservation Area to enable the impact of the proposed re-development of the former factory on its character and appearance to be properly assessed.  Woodhall prepared the appraisal and this identified three different character areas which were each analysed in detail.  The Conservation Area Appraisal has been adopted by the City Council following public consultation.

 

Terry's Factory Title
Terry's Factory

 

© 2011 Woodhall Planning and Conservation Ltd. All rights reserved.
Woodhall Logo
Architects and Planners
info@woodhall.co.uk