HomeServicesTeamClientProjectsNewsContact
back

This building is located alongside the ruins of the medieval Bishop's Palace, within the Cathedral Close.  Superficially it appears to be predominantly of late nineteenth century late but historic research revealed it to be a complex multi phased building.  Sections of the precinct wall dating from the thirteenth century survive in the basement and the core of the building is a fourteenth century lodging erected for the servants of the bishop.  Major extensions and alterations were undertaken throughout the eighteenth century before Bishop Edward King commissioned the architect Ewan Christian to create a new palace in 1886.

A section of the building is currently leased to the Edward King House Trust providing budget bed and breakfast accommodation, a religious retreat and conference centre. The Diocese propose to upgrade the offices, bed and breakfast and conference accommodation and Woodhall was commissioned to prepare a Conservation Statement and to provide specialist conservation advice on the proposed alterations.

 

The Old Palace Title
The Old Palace

 

© 2011 Woodhall Planning and Conservation Ltd. All rights reserved.
Woodhall Logo
Architects and Planners
info@woodhall.co.uk